Envel Community

Cash app transactions declined for no reason

Hi all,

I’ve been having issues when transactions from Cash app are regularly declined despite having the money in the account, with my card linked to the correct envelope and unfrozen.

The values are usually high, things like $100 for electric to $500+ for rent. It’s not my ideal avenue of sending money but right now that’s what I have available to share expenses and bills with my roommate.

Hey Chelsea,

Welcome to our community! We are very excited to have you, and are sorry that you are having issues.

For these transactions: which envelope are you linking your card to? One issue we see sometimes with Cardlink is that if the transactions take more than 15 minutes to process (we are working on more options for Cardlink, including allowing users to link indefinitely), the Cardlink will ‘expire’, and Cash app will try to take funds from the default envelope, your Cash.

Does this sounds like it could explain what’s going on? If so, 2 suggestions would be to

1. If Cash App allows, link to your intended account via routing/account number: this will assure that its always pulling from the correct envelope.

2. If that’s not an option, transfer your funds into the Cash envelope before you make the transaction, and don’t use Cardlink.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues!

All the best,
Jacqui

Jacqui,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I believe the cardlink expiring may have something to do with it! I will try linking my cash app account with the actual Bills envelope and I’ll let you know if that helps next time!

Chelsea

Hey Chelsea,

Wonderful! Please do keep me posted, and let me know if you have any issues with this (or otherwise).

Cheers,
Jacqui

Hey Jacqui,

So I’ve just had the same issue with an Amazon purchase. Spending out of cash envelope, card is not frozen and I have $25 more in the envelope than the transaction cost, it just declines for no discernable reason.

Hey Chelsea,

Was this payment via card? And are you able to send me a screenshot of what you are seeing in your cash app? I assume you didn’t use card link, correct?

Best,
Jacqui

I did not use cardlink, I just used my card for the Amazon purchase as normal. This purchase isn’t related to cash app though, just that it declined also.

Hey Chelsea,

Gotcha, thank you. Would you mind clicking on your Cash envelope, and sending me a screenshot of what you’re seeing? You can DM me by clicking on my profile pic, and then clicking ‘message’!

Best,
Jacqui