How much is safe to spend?

When I open the Envel app the screen says I have $65 guilt-free cash today.

If I click on the $65 it goes to a screen this says I have zero dollars today.

If I go to the my envelopes screen it shows that I have $6.31 in my cash envelope.

Now if I were to stop on the way home to buy a bag of dog food thinking I have $65 to spend it’s going to decline because there’s only $6.31 in cash.

Simple put the “safe to spend” balance front and center when you opened the app making it easy to check.

It’s embarrassing when you’re at a busy supermarket and your card declines on an inexpensive purchase. The Envel app is confusing at best with regard to how much money I can actually safely spend.

The sub envelopes that behave like unprotected goals on Simple cannot come soon enough.

I’ve had my card decline twice now in stores and multiple times from the toll road authority. When I’ve used all the money in my toll road account it goes and gets another $40. I have no idea which toll booth is going to hit the jackpot nor would I have time to reassign the debit card at 75 or 80 miles an hour. It’s the perfect example of an unplanned expense.

I was a Simple customer from the very beginning and I never had a payment decline because I always had money in my savings goals. It was great and I’m confident that Envel can be as good or even better.

3 Likes

I would turn off the daily limit. I don’t think that shows like safe to spend it’s more of a limit that you can spend everyday. (I could be totally wrong here so I’m sure they’ll let me know) so if you spent $3 of that 6 that daily limit would move to $62.

If you click that square you can change to monthly limit or no limit. The way I see it everything in the cash envelope would technically be safe to spend no? Let me know if I’m wrong in anyway about that. Again I’m sure I’ll get corrected here. But when I open the app it tells me how much “cash” I have which as of right now I see as my safe to spend

2 Likes

You’re right but turning off the daily or weekly limit also turns off the autopilot.

Turning off autopilot turns off automatic goal funding.

I’d like to keep the autopilot on and see an accurate safe to spend amount on the main screen when I open the app.

2 Likes

Ah ya I didn’t even notice that. Would be nice to be able to turn off that cash limit and use the ai. Or at the very least change the UI to represent that better

1 Like

Hey Jon,

Thank you for the heads up. As @wmech suggested (thank you for the suggestion!) I typically keep my limit off or on weekly to avoid this. Turning off the daily limit shouldn’t impact your autopilot: I have my limit turned off and an still on autopilot:

Thank you for providing all of this detail though! I am opening a ticket for you so that our developers can check what’s going on.

All the best,
Jacqui

I just checked again and turning off the daily or weekly limit turns off the AI modes.

Hey Jon,

It shouldn’t! I have “No limit” on (see screenshot above), but am also on autopilot: my goals are funded daily. Have you tried selecting “Change my Cash Mode” to see if selecting “No limit” really does turn autopilot off? In any case, I flagged this and your Goals issues to our dev team, who will look into both. Let me know if you do not hear back within the next few days!

Best,
Jacqui

Setting my cash mode to “No Limit” is what brought me to that screen. If I go ahead and hit the button, it turns off AI modes, and previously, when I had AI off, my goals stopped funding.

I want to know on the first screen when I open the app how much I can safely spend to stay on track with my savings. I also want to know that if I have to spend a little more, it’s going to automatically draw from my unprotected envelopes to cover it. This was baked into Simple from the very beginning. I never had my card declined or had an overdraft in more than a decade.

The only way a transaction would decline was if you didn’t have anything saved in unprotected goals or if you were trying to spend more than what was in your unprotected goals. It looks like your development team is trying to implement this with sub-envelopes under the cash envelope. Is this correct?

I had another look at things here and I’m wondering if “AI modes” and “Autopilot” are two different things? I tried changing cash mode to No-Limit again and I’m going to see if my goals fund or not.

My goals did fund today and I was able to use my debit card without it being rejected. I’m still seeing a warning on the “AI drive mode” screen saying:

My insurance is going to auto-draft a payment on Friday that likely to be more than what is in my cash envelope. Will your AI know that this is a bill and take it from the bills envelope?

1 Like

I’m not sure how the ai will know until tagging or some form of expenses come out. I think that was my question with subscriptions. How does the app know to take a bill out of the bills envelope if I signed up with a debit card? I would say move your bills to cash envelope?

2 Likes

Hey Jon,

Thank you for clarifying! In terms of the spending a little over your Cash balance, this issue should be solved with the subaccounts: if you don’t have enough in Cash, the app will draw from one of your other autonomous envelopes. However, your Goals, Custom, and Shared envelopes will still be protected!

In terms of autopilot vs. AI mode, where are you seeing the AI modes? There should be autopilot and Cash mode, which are 2 different things but related: you must have your autopilot turned on in order to select between different Cash modes.

In terms of safe to spend, I checked my app and am seeing the same amount in my Cash throughout the app. Are you still seeing different amounts? I believe this was one of the issues our tech team addressed in the updates they deployed last Friday, but please let me know if not!

I’m very glad your goals are funding! It looks like you are in autopilot mode with your cash limit turned off (that’s what I use as well). Have you run into any other issues? Please let me know if your Goals stop funding again!

For your insurance payment: unfortunately for now you will have to make sure that you have enough funds in whatever envelope your insurance will be pulling from. Again, this issue will be solved with the sub accounts, in which cash the app will pull from your Bills if you don’t have sufficient funds in your Cash. For now, I recommend doing a one-time transfer from your Bills to Cash sometime before Friday. I know that’s not ideal, and we really appreciate your patience and feedback as we implement the sub accounts!

Please let me know if I didn’t address any of your issues in this response, and if the support team hasn’t responded to any of your issues.

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Billy,

For now, yes! But you are correct, the transaction tagging will help solve this issue so the user ultimately has to put in less effort and thought, which is one of our ultimate goals!

Best,
Jacqui

Yesterday I moved some money from bills to cash, paid some bills, and started a transfer from Square to Envel from a job I completed.

My settings are: Autopilot on and no spending limit.

I just checked to see what has cleared because I know I have an insurance bill that is going to hit soon. The transfer from Square arrived.

This is the home screen:

And here is the envelopes screen:

And the Cash Limit screen:

If cash is set to No Limit, why is the balance different on the home screen?
Which balance is correct?

1 Like

Hey Jon,

Thank you so much for sharing these screenshots and detail. Unfortunately this is beyond my scope of understanding in the app, but our lead developer Alwyn just messaged me that he is looking into this. It’s definitely a bug, and I apologize for any confusion this has caused! If you don’t hear back today, please let me know.

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like

I was looking at that yesterday on my app and was confused as well.

Was this ever resolved?

It should be! Are you still seeing a discrepancy?

No, it’s not resolved. I’m also not getting notifications for anything.

Hey Jon,

I’m so sorry! I have logged both issues to our engineers, and they have actually both come up a few times before. I marked them as urgent, and also gave them your email to contact once they had a fix, so hopefully you should get a reply soon! Please keep me posted on both these issues, and again I’m very sorry for the delay and confusion.

Best,
Jacqui