Envel Community

Klarna is not a bill! IFTTT Pro and GoDaddy are!

I just got a notification about a “deposit” being sent to my Bills envelope. When I went to look, I discovered that my Klarna payment was pulled from my Bills envelope, even though it was charged to my debit card, which is linked to my Cash envelope. And the “deposit” I got was my car insurance payment (which is an ACH from my Bills envelope) getting returned NSF.

Now, I’ve figured out that because AT&T won’t take my Bills envelope for autopay, it’ll charge my debit card and once it clears, it goes over to Bills. I now know I need to keep enough to cover it in both envelopes and that’s fine. But for whatever reason, I still have to manually move my IFTT Pro and GoDaddy payments over to Bills after they clear in Cash.

So now I’m super confused as to why Envel thought my Klarna payment was a bill, even though it was the first time I had a payment go through. And I’m hoping my car insurance gets paid because I had enough money in Bills to cover it, but Klarna randomly coming out of Bills screwed that up. I guess I should have looked to make sure Klarna came out of the right envelope, but silly me for assuming if it was charging my debit card that I have linked to my Cash envelope, it would come out of that envelope :roll_eyes:

Hey Coley,

I’m so sorry this happened, let me chat with our AI team to clarify why this happened and how we can prevent it in the future!

Did you calibrate your Bills all together, or itemized?

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Coley,

So it looks like our machine learning model flagged Klarna as a bill because on their website it says ‘“Split the cost of your purchase into 4 interest-free payments, paid every 2 weeks”’.

We are discussing removing this as a Bill. For now, are you able to link you Klarna payments to your cash (or another non-Bills) envelope via routing number?

Also, have you tried linking your Bills account number to AT&T recently? Do they use Plaid by any chance? We are listed on Plaid exchange.

Best,
Jacqui

Best,
Jacqui

Yes, I have my bills itemized except for my credit card because I pay it biweekly and based on what my balance is. When I set up the Klarna payment, it came out of Cash for the first payment. Silly me for thinking it’d do the same for the second one :roll_eyes: It requires a debit card, nothing else. If I could have used my credit card for this one (it’s a 12 payment plan instead of their normal 4), I would have.

As for AT&T, no, they don’t use Plaid. They just have you either put your credit/debit card number or your account number and routing number. I don’t know why, but every time I’ve tried to use the Bills account number, it rejected it. I think I last tried it a few months ago.

Hey Coley,

Thank you for your response. We’re implementing a fix in our ML model for Klarna later today, so you shouldn’t have this issue again.

If you care to try again with your Bills and AT&T, let me know! I believe you should be able to add us know, but it will be good to know in any case.

Please let us know if you run into this issue again, where vendors are mistakenly identified as Bills.

Best,
Jacqui

AT&T isn’t using Plaid and I’m still getting an error when I enter in my account info for the Bills envelope

Thanks for the update. You are able to enter in other envelopes, correct?

Best,
Jacqui

I just used my debit card for this bill.

Gotcha. If you try entering the Cash envelope ( or a custom autonomous envelope) into AT&T, does it give you the same error message?

Unfortunately there’s not much we can do on our end about AT&T not accepting our Bills number. In the past we’ve had users reach out to individual vendors (like AT&T) and asking them to add us to their database as a legitimate bank. If you end up doing this, we are happy to provide you with any documentation they ask for.

I’m very sorry for this inconvenience, but on the bright side Klarna shouldn’t be flagged as a Bill!

Best,
Jacqui

Yeah, with AT&T, I at least know what it does, so I’m prepared when it happens. While the overall setup of Envel isn’t quite as great as Simple was, I’ve at least gotten in the habit of making sure money is where it needs to be when bills happen. I could never do that with a standard bank and when snafus like this happen, I’d be stuck paying a fee because it happened, even if it wasn’t my fault. I was just irked because AT&T normally puts a hold on my Cash envelope because it was using my debit card, so I was really shocked that Klarna immediately took the money out of the Bills envelope, even though it was a debit card transaction. Like if the AI could flag Klarna as a bill and take it out of the Bills envelope, why wouldn’t it treat AT&T the same way after several months?

Hey Coley,

I’m sorry things aren’t as intuitive as Simple, we are working very hard on simplifying our system! We are actively working to improve our Bills Sorter algorithms. We’ve implemented a fix so that Klarna is no longer flagged as a Bill, but please let us know if it is for some reason.

Let me check in with the team about AT&T : I believe at one point we were working on a feature that gave users more control over which vendors were categorized as Bills.

Best,
Jacqui

Best,
Jacqui