Not sure if this is a bug

…but here’s an interesting transaction event:

I have a bill that will only take cards and not accounts so it’s setup with my debit card and auto payments since I can’t link the envelope for it. I planned on just moving the funds back to cash from the envelope after the debit occurred.

So, today, that debit occurred. It was taken from cash. I moved it back, then, later on I received a notification that my bills envelope balance changed. I looked into it and that debit was taken from bills (now). So I had to move the funds I transferred earlier from that particular bill envelope to cash back into the bills envelope. Why? I don’t use autonomous features so did the app recognize it as coming from a billable company anyway and choose the bills envelope for me?

Hey Adam,

Our system does flag vendors that look like Bills as Bills, and takes them out of your Bills envelope.

We are working to allow users more control over this. Is this a feature you find useful, or would you rather have full control over gets flagged as a Bill?

As a reminder, you can always use Cardlink to link to your Bills (or any other envelope!)

Best,
Jacqui

That’s neat. It COULD be useful as it was in this incident. Although I wish I had known so I wouldn’t have been moving money around for nothing. But, no biggie. What happens when it detects wrong though? It could backfire on an account if it does and there’s no money in the Bills envelope.

I know about cardlink but you can’t cardlink for 15mins for auto-pay accounts on due dates.

Is there a list of vendors that y’all already have flagged? If so, I could eliminate an envelope or 2 and just let Envel auto-detect and let it pull from Bills.

Hey Adam,

If it detects wrong, then it gets pulled from Bills, but you always have the option to move it back. You’re absolutely correct about it backfiring, and we discussed this point extensively at our meeting today, and are planning to address it ASAP. Ideally we allow users to select which Bills/vendors are flagged as Bills.

I do believe that if you add an itemized Bill with a vendor, all transactions from that vendor should be flagged as Bills. Was the transaction you brought up earlier from a vendor you had included in your itemized Bills list?

Good point about the card link as well: we are working on enabling different time frames, including indefinitely for card link!

I’ll ask about the list!

Cheers,
Jacqui

I just so happened to have money in Bills. But if I didn’t, what would have happened? Insufficient funds? That wouldn’t have been ok especially since I didn’t set that up like that or even knew for that matter. I was expecting it to be paid from Cash.

How do I select which vendors are flagged as a bill? I have manual itemized bill envelopes for each vendor that I add funds to from the Bills envelope after I load it with my monthly bill allowance. This is the 1st time paying that vendor from Envel.

Hey Adam,

That’s correct, insufficient funds. This is one of the many reasons we are working on subaccounts, which will prevent this! Aside from adding vendors in your Itemized Bills list, we don’t currently have a function to allow users to choose this, although its on our roadmap and I will flag it again as high priority!

Best,
Jacqui

Thanks…So far so good with Envel (minus just a couple of minor hiccups)!

1 Like

Hey Adam,

I’m so glad to hear that! We are always working to improve on our hiccups, and really appreciate your feedback long the way. Please let us know anytime if you have any suggestions!

Cheers,
Jacqui