Simple Bank is Closing Today...What Improvements do you still want to see?

Hi everyone,

I’ve seen a lot of frustration on social media over Simple’s official closure today. I thought I would open up another thread for former Simple users to voice their opinions and suggestions about what we could do to make Envel a betterreplacement for Simple! Feel free to also vent, although constructive feedback is always appreciated!

Best,
Jacqui

To make this really useful for couples/family (at least mine), I would love the ability to use shared envelopes with your card and the ability to assign an envelope other than the Cash envelope to the card to be used by default.

4 Likes

Joint accounts. One account but two cards. This would make it easy for my wife and I. And a safe to spend bar or area to know how much money we have to spend after bills have been sent to envelopes. We are waiting for this joint account feature, as soon as you guys add it, we will join!

7 Likes

Hey Mitch,

Welcome to our forum, we are super excited to have you onboard. And thank you! This is excellent feedback, and I will share with the team. Please let me know if you can think of anything else!

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like

Hey Josiah,

Thank you! This seems to be a popular request, and I am conveying this feedback to our product team. Please let me know if you can think of anything else!

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like

Hm, I think a barebones website. When I had downtime, I’d log into Simple on my computer and use my over engineered expense labeling to my advantage and build “what if” budgets in excel.

It was nice to see my account blown up and not always on my iphone. I don’t think I need all the functionality of the app on the website, just a way to check out past statements and maybe download them to CSV

5 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thank you, this is excellent feedback! I know that our engineers are working on a website that allows onboarding, but I will see if it’s possible to add additional functionalities! Let us know if you can think of anything else.

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like

I’ve only been using Envel for a week and I am missing my “Safe to Spend,” especially as a widget for Android.

I’m also finding the separate account for deposits confusing. I thought I linked my PayPal and have had several things come back R09: Uncollected Funds because I only linked the deposit account and not my cash account. I didn’t realize I’d need to link both and that is not spelled out when the app sends you to PayPal for adding funds.

Hey Coley,

Welcome to our forum! We are super excited to have you on board.

I’m curious how think our Daily/Weekly Cash compares to Safe to Spend? I can definitely add a widget to our to do list!

I apologize for the confusion surrounding the accounts. There is a notification when you select your income/direct deposit account. Did you not see it? It could be that you need to update your app!

In the next few weeks we plan to roll out our subaccounts feature, so all your autonomous envelopes will technically be under the same account number. Our long term plan is to make the income account the same account/routing # as your Envelopes, but in the mean time I apologize for the confusion!

If you have any other feedback, suggestions, or questions about the app, we would love to hear from you.

Best,
Jacqui

I’m talking about here, when it gives you instructions to set up PayPal or Venmo. It doesn’t say you need to link a different account to use PayPal as payment method.

Interactive chat bott AI to customize user experience, allocations, AI reset, learn new protocols and at hand information such as tracking spending, find a transaction.
I whould love to see this as the premium service. More customized experience.

1 Like

Hey Coley,

Thank you! I know that this is under the ‘Add Funds’ button, but I can see how it would be confusing. I am flagging this to our product team and requesting that they put a warning on this page as well!

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Amanda,

Thank you! These are great suggestions, and a premium model has always been part of our original business plan. Because we are prioritizing making Envel accessible to everyone, unfortunately we don’t plan to role out premium until 2022. But I am taking note of your suggestion: I think an AI bot would be wonderful!

Let us know if you can think of any other features that are worth including in our premium account, or in general.

Best,
Jacqui

Yup, I mean, I totally saw the disclaimer on the direct deposit page, but it’s not like people are going to be able to remember that the account info you list there is the same account info that you list on PayPal/Venmo page. It definitely needs a disclaimer because I don’t think it’s obvious that once you link that account to your PayPal/Venmo, you can only use that account to deposit. I get that it’s under “add funds” but it definitely needs to be said that you need to link your deposit account to receive money via PayPal and Venmo, but if you also want to send funds, you need to link your cash account as well.

1 Like

Absolutely! I told our developers to either add a notification in the text (e.g. do NOT try to pay from this account, deposits only) or an attention icon, ideally both. Thank you for catching this! If anything else comes to mind that is misleading or unclear, please let us know.

Best,
Jacqui

So I just went through to set up the itemized bills, which has been pretty helpful, but there’s one problem I’m seeing with it: sometimes bills aren’t monthly. For example, in Simple I had separate expenses of things like my car registration. I also pay for Hulu annually instead of monthly. I just created their own envelopes for now, but I’d like to have those 2 things automated as well and I’m afraid the AI is not going to set aside the money I need for those 2 things because they don’t get paid out every month. Like it’s going to think, “Oh, you needed $5.42 for Hulu this month, but you didn’t pay it, so I’ll keep that $5.42 in your bills envelope, but not add an additional $5.42.”

1 Like

@raspberrychucks for my annual bills I did Goals. It pulls daily which I am not used to but hopefully they add yearly bills option.

I guess I could try that, but it’s only about $13 per paycheck, so I can just do that transfer manually for now. It’s not a lot to take out every other week, unlike my car insurance. That one definitely needs to be done automatically.

@raspberrychucks if manually, it just takes one time to forget before you’re all messed up. Try the Goals. I have some yearly goals that are as low as 12 dollars and some for 200+.

Hey Coley,

Thank you for the feedback! We’ve gotten the annual request from a few folks, and I just confirmed with our engineering team that we do plan to add that as an option for future versions. Thank you @digiSal for the suggestion, this is also a great option!

If you can think of any other funding schedules we should add, or any other feedback on itemized bills, please let us know!

Best,
Jacqui