Simple -> Envel 2.0

Simple had the ability to make instant transfers to other people who banked at Simple. My wife and I used this all the time.

• Do the shared envelopes transfer instantly if the owner and friend are both using Envel accounts?

• If not, is there a way for instant transfers between two people who both bank at Envel?

Hey @amaress ,

Thank you for sharing! That’s actually super interesting, I can see it being useful but I can also see people being reluctant to put in time or effort to figure it out. I do like the idea of giving the user awareness about where their funds are being pulled from. I believe that the dev team will try to clarify in-app once the sub accounts roll out (e.g. if you don’t have enough in Bills we will take from your Emergency fund), but I will definitely bring this up with them!

You are correct: sub accounts will serve as the equivalent to “unprotected goals”, to avoid transactions being declined. However, the Goals feature will still be separate from the sub accounts, and thus your Envel Goals will continue to be ‘Protected Goals,’ as they are now. Let me know if you think this setup will be an improvement, or if you can think of other alternatives!

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Jon,

Yes! Peer to peer transfers are instant between two users with Envel accounts.

Best,
Jacqui

Hey David,

Thank you for seconding @Obscura 's suggestion! I know that all users to customize goal funding schedules is something our product team is considering, and I feel like the ability to pause goals is something that could be incorporated simultaneously. I will make a note of this, and convey to the dev team at our weekly meetings!

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Billy,

Thank you! Don’t worry about repeating suggestions, it’s always helpful to be reminded of previous suggestions that our team hasn’t yet at time to address. I will bring up the tip calculator, the rules, and the expenses to our dev team at our weekly meeting, as well as in our weekly reports to them on user feedback. Expenses has definitely gotten a lot of votes, rave reviews, and requests, but I’m glad you brought up the other 2. Were there other rules that users could add? Were users able to make their own rules? The latter was a feature we were originally planning to implement in our earliest versions, but we had to prioritize other features.

Hey there,

Welcome to our forum and community! We are super excited to have you on board, and always appreciate the perspective of new users who don’t know much about the app.

Check deposits and virtual envelopes are features that are on our long term roadmap. More information about the current features we are working on here: Envel update - #20 by criedmueller

And a poll regarding features you think we should prioritize here: Envel's Top Feature Requests: Which is a priority for you? - #5 by jacqueline

In terms of linking bills, do you mean privacy.com? I am not sure about the Gas authorizations question, but I just asked the team!

The shared envelope rules suggestion is excellent! I think this could really help us better serve families, and I’m conveying to the team.

Shared autonomous envelopes is an existing request we’ve gotten, so adding your vote to the tally!

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and suggestions, I really love the shared envelope rules and will do my best to prioritize this to the rest of the team!

Cheers,
Jacqui

2 Likes

There was one other rule about setting aside tax returns. And you couldn’t edit them. So maybe having that round up rule you can change it to a different amount would be interesting.

1 Like

How do I initiate a peer to peer transfer? Shared envelope or somewhere else? I tried searching for my wife in the send money area and it did not find her.

Hey Jon,

That’s odd: you says she has an active Envel account, correct? I’m very sorry that you are having issues. Is she in your contacts? This is what I see what I go to the same screen:

[

And if I scroll down, I see all my phone contacts with the option to invite them. Perhaps you didn’t enable Envel to have access to your contacts? This could also be the issue.

However, if you 2 have a shared envelope, you should both be able to deposit and withdraw funds from that shared envelope into your other envelopes/goals instantly. Let me know if this isn’t working for some reason!

Best,
Jacqui

We set up my wife’s account the other day. She hasn’t funded it yet, but it is there and she is having direct deposit switched over as soon as possible.

Envel has access to my contacts.

I can’t scroll down and searches return no results. I do have a LOT of contacts. Could that be it?

Hey Jon,

It shouldn’t be, I have several hundred and haven’t had an issue (unless you have several thousand or more, in which case this could potentially be the issue.)

What happens if you delete the app, and redownload with the latest update? If this doesn’t help, let me know and I will flag this as a bug to our team ASAP, so we can get your wife all set up.

Best,
Jacqui

Deleting and reinstalling has fixed this issue. :smiley::+1:

1 Like

I would like to see a way to share my autonomous envelopes with my wife. Without this my wife and I can’t use the account to budget together and spend from the same account.

3 Likes

Hey Brock,

Thank you! Adding your vote to our running tally, a few other users have requested this.

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like

Totally agree. I’m struggling because I want to use Envel, there are things I really like about it. But with the deadline from simple fast approaching One Financial is looking very attractive with more/better shared envelopes, automated transfers, and virtual cards for each envelope. Holding off as long as I can, but the current version of Envel is not really usable for a couple that wants to handle their finances as a team.

I actually had to build a flow chart to understand / visualize how we would manage our expenses using Envel / PayPal / Shared / etc. And the conclusion is that it’s workable, but it’s going to take a lot of maintenance / upkeep and include a fair bit of inconvenience.

3 Likes

I hear you there, it sounds like you might be looking at one finance. I reviewed them and would prefer Envel as well but if Envel can’t make themselves available to couples that manage their finances together before the date Simple closes I am moving to Zeta joint account until it is figured out. It isn’t perfect but it’s doable in the mean time.

2 Likes

Hey Sam,

Thank you for your feedback. I hope that our upcoming updates will help alleviate some of the issues you have been having.

Which aspects of the current app do you find the most inconvenient? If you have any other suggestions about how we could make Envel a more suitable Simple alternative that you haven’t mentioned, we would love to hear them. We appreciate your support and your willingness to work with us to help build you the best app possible! And we completely understand that certain aspects of the current app are inconvenient, and our product team is working constantly to improve upon these.

Best,
Jacqui

Hey Brock,

Thank you for the note! I know that our developers are currently working on expanding shared envelope functionalities for our upcoming series of updates, and we appreciate your support and constructive feedback. Please feel free to continue to let us know how you think we can do better!

Best,
Jacqui

I was replying to @Brock65 regarding shared autonomous envelopes. This would provide most of the functionality I’m looking for regarding sharing with my partner. And yes, I’m hoping that the update rumored to be coming sometime in April will solve my issues but I haven’t seen anything yet that says what the updates will be so I have little confidence. I’ll try to paint a better picture, here are some of the main things that need to happen and how I see the solution or lack thereof.

1. How to manage money coming in and getting split between partners - DD to Partner A, auto split to autonomous envelopes. Either manually initiate transfer to partner B’s account for each DD or manually move money to Shared Envelope that Partner B can pull money from. Partner B then has to move money manually into envelopes for their own purposes. Partner B also has no visibility to the “Main Budget” unless shared envelopes are created for everything, but if you do this then all transfers into shared envelopes are manual so what’s the point of all the AI??? There are several options on how to fix this…joint account for autonomous envelopes, make autonomous envelopes shared, add features for recurring transfers (ideally with DD as the trigger)
  2. recurring bills allowing ACH - easy, setup automatic payments via ACH directly to the Bills envelope
  3. recurring bills that allow paypal - easy, use paypal to pull money from bills envelope or whatever envelope is appropriate
  4. recurring bills that only allow CC - no great solution. use debit card and rely on envel to correctly flag as a bill and pull from Bills envelope (would be fixed by virtual cards for envelopes or by integration with Privacy.com. Another option here is to use “PayPal Key” virtual card but limits to pulling from a single envelope.
  5. Card purchases & occasional spending - use debit card but there are numerous issues here. No shared debit cards so now we need to figure out how much money to transfer to each partner to cover unpredictable expenses. A joint account that we could switch back and forth to just like Simple would be the preferred solution by many. Shared envelopes are still great, but how do you recommend solving the unpredictable debit card expenses issue with the current feature landscape?

There’s probably a lot more here to discuss but probably easier with an actual conversation rather than in this forum.

2 Likes

Hey Sam,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback, and all the detail you provided! I completely agree, an actual conversation would be much easier. I just added you to our Simple Focus group thread/group, let me know if you aren’t seeing this thread! I think the focus group will be a great opportunity for you to discuss these suggestions with our product team directly.

Best,
Jacqui

1 Like