Envel Community

Virtual debit card

It would be good to have “Virtual Card” feature to spend online safely.

2 Likes

Apple Pay is first on the list, next plan is virtual cards for each Envelope.

6 Likes

This would be a really great feature. Is there a roadmap published for things that are being worked on!?

1 Like

Hey nmorton,

Nothing has been published officially, but rest assured we keep track of all our your suggestions on our team platform, as well as the number of people who request each feature. We have gotten a ton of amazing feedback over the weekend, and are working on prioritizing! There is so, so much we want to do, but one step at a time! Our team works round the clock (literally we have 7 different time zones so someones always working) to make you guys the best app possible!

1 Like

So…virtual cards are rolling out this November?

Hey Julius,

Welcome to our forum, we are very excited to have you on board! Unfortunately we likely won’t be finished with virtual cards by then. However, we are working on an update called subaccounts, wherein the majority of your envelopes with be ‘subaccounts’ under one main account number. This should help reduce a lot of the friction our users were experiencing with payments being declined due to insufficient funds in an envelope!

Best,
Jacqui

2 Likes

I use Privacy.com for virtual cards in my envelopes. You’ll have to send them a message and request to use their services via routing/banking info instead of Plaid. Been working good for me.

2 Likes

I just used it for the first time. Thanks for the recommendation.

What do you mean by “virtual card”?

I think they mean a case where an app gives you a debit card number, CVV, and expiration date, so that you can use this for purchases without the need for a physical card! This is something we are considering for the future.

1 Like

It is to avoid putting your actual card info out on the internet. If a card that you use for Spotify gets charged at Starbucks, you know something is wrong and you close that card and open another one. without having to worry about you real life card.
This is the only thing that is actually keeping me from using Envel yet. Just sitting and waiting for that to arrive.

Hey Bryan!

Virtual cards are currently in the works, and we hope to role them out by early 2022! I agree that they seem super useful in a lot of different situations, especially when it comes to user security and privacy.

Cheers,
Jacqui

GPay already issues virtual numbers for whichever card you use.

1 Like

Hey Adam,

That’s super cool. Has this worked with your Envel card as well?

Best,
Jacqui

Yep! It works for my Envel card.

1 Like

Awesome! That’s so cool

Hey Adam!

Thank you again for bringing our attention to this, this is a super cool feature. Just to clarify, did you go in and enter your physical card details on Google Pay… like you would using a normal credit card?

Best,
Jacqui

Good morning! Yeah I did it manually. This was before y’all added the shortcut.

1 Like

Not quite the same. They have a VC for a card that you put on there for use when their app is used.
With my current bank, I have pockets (envelopes) and each pocket has it’s own virtual routing, account and card number. Part of this is a security issue, but a large part of why it is vital for me is for budgeting. I throw $60 in my Internet pocket and I know that it is going to be there and the only people that have that card number is my ISP… Same with my truck payment, rent etc…
I could always use a service like Privacy.com for VC’s but that needs to link to a card and all my money will be sitting in a single lump and I can’t see what is my actual spending cash.
I am horrible with money and this is damn near the only reason I get my bills paid lol.

I agree that Virtual Cards would be a great feature. In fact I was going to post the suggestion on the thread about “premium” accounts.

Since you mentioned privacy.com (which I also use), I’ll tell you that my “less than perfect” solution for now is to use the envelopes’ account info to back the Privacy VCs. For funding sources Privacy can use either a single debit card or multiple bank accounts. If you search their FAQ for “can I connect multiple funding sources” you should see it.

Of course for my plan to work Envel would have to be available through Plaid because that’s how privacy connects bank accounts currently.